2.03.2009

Go Giants

Was anybody actually rooting for a team in the Super Bowl this past Sunday? I typically go for the underdog unless the opposing teams quarterback is hot (or are brothers), in which case, I have a split heart. Such was not the case, so I was for AZ all the way. Plus, I do still have recent fond affections for Scottsdale...but anywho, my friend Rachel and I ventured out to a watching party she was invited to. We had thought to bail early in the game (seeing as how no one really cared about a winner), so I didn't think about 'game watching' attire. But seeing Rach's earnest attempts to dress in team colours, and thinking about not thinking about the game, I became a little worried how my pre-game, 'disinterested' look would go over. I don't typically care what others think of my style, but when not knowing fellow guests', combined with a themed party, a little uncertainty is a given.

Needless to say, we definitely didn't fit in, as we did not have cowboy boots on. Nor brought Coors Light as the choice of beer. Nor, brought a dog for additional entertainment. But the hosts were generous and fun, so we did indeed have a good time. We pretty much carried on with each other as the other girls seemed young (and drunk) when a random friend also in attendance loudly declared "What are you doing here? You should be in New York!" ..what? I'm just as confused, as she clarified "You're always dressed so...stylish"--(with a magic wand wave over my frame)--"...like New York. You would fit in in New York!" As much of a compliment as that is for me, no need to announce stand out style when it is clearly stand out! I shrunk myself down, embarrassed the other cowgirls would chime in with unwelcoming stares or a chorus line "Neeew Yooork Seeetay??", when another girl said "Yes!!! That's what I thought too! Very stylish!...You look like you belong in New York! Is that what you do?!"
---
I don't think I would fit in in New York. I mean, the thing about New York is style is what you want it to be--anything you want it to be, as it is an overwhelming well of history and culture, skillfully defined in personal style, an inherent art.
But, oh, how I do love New York. I love the distant sounds that echo through the streets; look left, look right, and left again as you never know how the city can strike you. The 'busy', disinterested expressions of faces that hurriedly pass you by or the knowing looks that remind- no matter how sure you are, you are still a tourist.
It feels like a dream in my mind despite knowing it is very real indeed, but I guess I like to keep it there. I mean, New York is what you make of it as is Anywhere, America or a Super Bowl watching party where you are just as much a tourist. But like style, New Yourk is a place that satisfies an independent element: it is what you make of it. And I don't know about you, but I don't want to get lost on the 6. Er, in the mix.

3 comments:

  1. Nice.  You failed to mention "country face."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought you looked sooooo Cleveland, Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take Cleveland too. You know why? Bc CLEVELAND ROCKS

    ReplyDelete