2.14.2009

Hustle-her

"Don't tell me what to do" are my favourite words. My best friend Heidi coined the phrase one time when I suggested she get into the right lane to exit, knowing she really wasn't all too familiar with the area. I said it in an undertone as to not interrupt her story, and just as casually, she replied "Don't tell me what to do."
Since then, I've adapted the phrase as everything is answered as such: "Scoot over." Don't tell me what to do. "Your headlights are still on." Don't tell me what to do. "Can you unlock the door?" Don't tell me what to do.
I particularly empathize this notion in defense of men for a gillion (the biggest number you can have) reasons, but mostly because I shouldn't have to tell you what to do, I don't want to tell you what to do, and beyond that, you are or aren't gonna do it anyways!


So this is for you guys: this is what the females are looking for on the eve of great expectations--when both parties can only think "Don't tell me what to do..."
The photo above is the first and only deliberate picture I have captured of mens' style. Oh, and of my friend. But I'll be honest, I was completely enamoured by these three fellas walking ahead of us as we biked around San Fran. While we were safe in our (embarrassing) helmets, and I hurriedly attempting to keep up, they were killing me in their boots, blazers and blue jeans; the Euro swagger didn't help much either.
While some ladies are interested in flowers and food--even post dinner 'proposals' a la Captain Morgan, I would just like to see that you tried.

I am happy to quote my friend Blaine Brewer who has excellent style and of which I consulted (he comfortably sports loafers on boating and camping trips!): "How are you guys impressing us this Valentine's Day? What implies that extra touch?":
"As far as Valentines' fashion goes, my policy is to dress to impress. I think it is very important to do some research about the place(s) that you plan on going and to dress accordingly. For instance, several nice restaurants require a jacket to enter, while others are business casual. The most important thing about men's fashion, especially on Valentine's Day, is to stand out.
Wear something interesting and unique, like a fedora, or an eclectic combination of colors, and you know how I feel about scarfs. Taking advantage of the holiday is also a good idea, like wearing an all black suit with a red tie and red socks, or somehow incorporating red into your color scheme.
But, whatever you do, the most important thing is to impress your lady and to make her happy...this is her day after all. If there is something that she has been trying to get you to wear, like that v-neck sweater with a button-up underneath that you think you look ridiculous in, it's time to succumb to her will and sport a v-neck for the night."


"Is that so when you tell her what to do, she will do it anyways?"
"Precisely."
Then.....don't tell me what do.


7 For All Mankind at ShopStyle

1 comment:

  1. I think the Falcon jeans are a little too hip to be "manly"... would look fab on a gay husband, tho'!

    A fedora makes smooching a bit difficult, but it is oh so romantic when a guy removes his hat and passionately embraces you (and by "you" I mean women in Cary Grant films).

    ReplyDelete