2.06.2009

Sin-atra

Not long ago, I was asked by a friend "What is your least favourite month?" I flipped through one through twelve, thinking of the pro's and con's of each, ultimately settling on "February. I mean, given the 'holiday' I'm sure it means plenty to plenty of people, but personally, I've got nothing." Well, actually, I do have bad stories of worthless memories. I mean, how pointless is it to get dressed up for a nice dinner and 'more' only to be reminded year after year how unsuccessful it was? Talk about great expectations; hence, I prefer to be pleasantly surprised any other unmarked day of the year. (Another reason to look good for all of them.)

But, I must say, there aren't many occasions one has several points to prove. Say you two go to a nice dinner: not only must you appeal to your own comfort, but also your date, as this is not a dutch deal. You also must appeal to your public as--at very least aesthetically, you must appear unapologetically struck by cupid. Plus, misery loves company.
As far as fruition goes, I honestly have no idea what works. I mean, I know what works but I don't know what sticks, so take this post with a grain of salt.

I do know that a bright shade of nail polish makes me feel pretty. This is one occasion tomato red will only do, as it is meant to centralize ten reasons you are the bullseye. I really like this shade Asiatique found at MAC.com for $11. Any lighter, and such implies everyday affections; darker and you might not see day time!

Speaking of bullseye, there are two options to intrigue through effective eye makeup. Both are dependent on your look, so pair appropriately:

a) A smoking hot, smokey eye.

I don't work a smoldering eye very often. Ok, I do but not in my eye make up, so if you opt for the extra smudge, be sure to minimize elsewhere.
The key is to specialize the day, time or person with extra effort, yet remain every bit whom they invited. This is not a time to work a 'new you' but instead highlight expected progression and yet keep an anchor. Smoke holds suspense so let go through a simpler look such as a calming cream skirt and blouson top. Try this skirt from Gap found here in khaki ($44) or this comfortable cargo shown in gold from Victoria's secret ($40).

Top with a comparable Arden B. blouson, ruffle make shown here in pink quartz.

b) Doe eyed? Then tell a pushy tale.

This means if you minimize the story line in your make up, tell a compelling one by opting for pieces with a stronger print or detailed build displaying your will for more.
Try this currently popular cascade ruffle available in red or light pink at Charlotte Russe ($20). Release the heavy heat by leaving the top three buttons open as your skin will act as a neutralizer.
A bit more demure, this romantic antique print would be lovely tucked into a skinny dark wash jean and paired with matching heels (Kohl's $48). Or this boho tie-dye variation is a comfortable choice and will be a definite go-to in the coming months (Newport News, $13, hellooo!)
I do know that I feel good when putting a few random, soft curls in my hair or pinning and playing with a side-swept look. Give your hair a break from the straightener. ...wait. let me repeat that: Give your poor hair a break from the straightener as there is nothing prettier than a soft, natural palette that is reflective of you. Pick one: your hair, your face, or your clothes. As for the 'more' segment of the evening: I say do as you say, but be yourself and say it all in your look.
As for the other kind of pallet, that's up to you.
...And cheers, dawlin'. :)

1 comment:

  1. But what about the guys, Jess? I would suggest a ScreamingO, or - for the au naturale look - the "Naked Guy" of the Captain Morgan variety. (AFTER dinner, of course.)

    LOVE the the red CR top... not so much on the tie dye, but maybe it is just the pink jean. :)

    ReplyDelete