2.09.2009

Disturbin' the Piece

Whhhy..? Why did you do it Chris Brown? If you haven't heard already, pop-ster, "I really don't see it" Chris Brown whacked his secret girlfriend, Jamaican princess Rhianna, the eve before each were due to perform at the Grammys. Naturally, they weren't 'available' to attend. The press is calling it a "Fairy-tale Romance Gone Wrong," but I suspect the brawl went something like this:
"What??! You don't want to wear a pinata?! Beyonce isn't coming and Katy Perry is wearing a cornucopia!?! You have to do it big Reee! BiG!"
"No, Chris, Eye awlredae told you: mhy stylist sayd it's hit or miss and I don't need ta miss it." WHACK--he punches her totally misunderstanding she meant "I don't want to miss the show because I could quite possibly be the most fashionable person there."
Sigh. (I really did sigh...) Soo many misses, and not enough hits. And I don't mean of the domestic violence sort.
I'm not sure which travesty is worse: the fact no one can afford a stylist for something like the grammy's or that a stylista like Rhianna will be forever associated with a punk like Chris Brown.
Let's then account all of the above to "Better things yet to come."
The theme was indeed "I've had it up to HERE" as my favourite hit of the night was Jennifer Hudson in Roland Mouret sporting a high, white, blooming neckline and cobalt geo-waist. For her show stopping performance, she also worked a red shell earring and short, black, sparkly number securing the most justified look of the eve.
On the other hand, Kim Kardashian in Maticevski (who?) choked in a similar strapless, tripping it all up in heavy, clunker heels. I might be a wee bit more lenient if her hair were down like Mighty Aphrodite but as a self-proclaimed stylist, she has no defense.
Jennifer Nettles of country duo Sugarland needed no protection in her fierce Rachel Roy Egyptian bodice and tulip skirt--a very sophisticated look despite her heavy accent.
Speaking of, prediction alert: Leann Rhimes' dress, a Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti, featured a heavily beaded waistline.

I picked up these funky cumberbuns pre-fall and have been waiting to work as an unexpected accessory in early spring. (now.) Keys for spring are choice weapons of defense: a simple, clean palette accessorized by chunky beading in the yoke or waist.
If either are not optional for you, this is a great time to build and play with your jewelry collection as you can throw it all on. Unlike omens and charms, kitschy, tooled jewels will be the highlight to your fabric, so don't be afraid to break it all out. At once.

Katy Perry worked the aforementioned hipster accent in a bubbalicious Basil Soda dress while Jordan Sparks (in Debra Davenport) took a chance in her Damiani dangle earrings.
Another key this season is two is better than one, meaning opt for matching armband cuffs as emergency armour.
I met a guy one night I was convinced was my new gay best friend after he raved over my hammered gold bracelet. He loved it so much, I put it on him because, you know, if the gays work it, it's gotta be right.
After later approaching me in effort to convince he was not gay, he stormed off upset I misunderstood him, steal wearing my favourite bracelet! Now, had I had two...I guess I would still need another. But I might have been more inclined to defended my position, you know, in order to be clearer.
---
I am currently building my look book at shopstyle.com featuring my favourite finds--some of which are comparable to what I already own, or things of which I wish to own. (wink, WiNK) Check it out and I will be sure to build and present upon noted pieces in order to help clarify how best to wear (and locate) a Pretty Cheap Dress!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite was Miley's performance top... loooved it! J Hud's L(sparkly)BD was gorgeous... I couldn't decide if she had dropped 20 lbs or if it was just the dress.

    I was anxious to see what you would write about Gwyneth... I initially thought it was horrible, but then it grew on me! My final judgement: unless you are married to a rock star, it is a definite "Don't." (P.S. when she was introducing "one of the most influential bands of all time," I was afraid it was going to be, pathetically, Coldplay... thank goodness it was RADIOHEAD!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miley's top was fun! Very mature for her; both she and Taylor looked sharp in their LBD's. I was reminded of a young Hayden Pan...we will see where else these young starlets' style goes.
    As for Gwenyth: it was a tough look to pull. It had completely different features--texture, sparkle, a daring length. Her figure is flawless, hence why she could do it, but I wouldn't recommend anyone else to attempt. But I do like the way her style has transitioned--she doesn't get stuck that's for sure! Check out Gwenyths' blog http://goop.com/ --a multi-dimensional read.

    ReplyDelete