1.29.2009

Tiny Dancer

Yu...-you, really should know how my internal clock works.
A couple months ago, I tirelessly woke up at 3:30 in the morning. Um, I had just gone to bed at two so that was a problem. But lo and behold, A Pretty Cheap Dress was born. Another time, I seriously woke up stating "That's it!!!" as, in my sleep, I had realized my perfect gift for a good friends wedding in July. It was December. ..and fortunately, my eureka moment was within the one year (after) window, so I was saved on so many levels. Point is, my brain stops for no one, nothing and it has happened once again.
Three-thirty this a.m. I awoke pondering my next ramblings for a PCD. Actually, that's a lie: I tossed and turned searching for the coolest side of the pillow, (both temperature and social status) when I realized 'What's the point in fighting restlessness..?' Well, one point was I am soo bored with wardrobe options right now. Honestly, I pretty much throw on tights and an over sized shirt daily or get even more fancy when I sport my knit blue legwarmers, pink (or orange, it's reversible!) skirt, and ballet flats as these have been my staples through this athletic season.
...Eur-eeek-ka!
OK. I get it. You're not quite ready to work some of the newest styles because you're still working on your New Year Resolution: "1. Re-enter Public When (over-sized) Gym Clothes Fall Off By Themselves"? Me too. But let's at least jazz it up.

1. and One! Let's get that heart pumping by sending the blood back where it streams from: your guts. Before you forge an argument against The Leotard, recall how unflattering--and not to mention uncomfortable, your Spanx et. al are. I have a feeling once you sport a leotard, you won't wanna take it off. Well, you know, until you have to.

This contrast body suit from American Apparel is a really nice option as a top or bottom. (I mean, put pants on. $36) Use as a base layer for chill days by working with the cut; expose the boney shoulder with a asymmetrical tee or tank-- or even casually toss on a vest. Buttoned, unbuttoned--despite what you might believe, the key is to appear undone as the actual statement is made in bold style. Opt for mature color blocks that will carry your look day to night, because remember, you won't wanna take it off.


2. and Two! and too bad this skirt isn't reversible.
But good thing it is very versa-tile. (Like that? Must be the sleep deprivation.) Available in nine different colours, ($28) I love this tucked yet undone look shown here with a collared, button up top. A "tulip" cut with extra room for the hips, this skirt should work well for nearly everyone. Yes, it is short, so pair with same shade leggings to create an illusion of length. Activate the use of pockets if it starts to feel a little full by pressing volume out. Once you are out of your workout clothes and into your swimsuit, take this skirt to the water as it is a fitting, easy-breezy touch.

3. And three! Dress thee! Although any of these dresses would be a fine choice, this boat-neck option gets my vote ($38).
Boney shoulder alert! Boney shoulder alert! She is still covered up with adequate room for more, but illuminating springs' best feature. I also like this rich shade, shown in Asphalt, as well as the pocket feature. You can do a ton with this piece:
belt it up

  • boot it up (notice the contrasting colour scheme)

  • leg it up (with neutral or same shade leggings)

  • vest it up (ahha, awesome vest)

  • skirt the issue by wearing as a long, full tunic, and chunky, hipster belt over the tulip skirt

  • or, my favourite ...
    Flash Dance it up! with leg warmers (AA, $16) and gladiator sandals (Target, $20).
I'm telling you: when I wear my boots, I feel like J Lo. When I wear my leg warmers, I feel like J Lo. And soon enough, shakin' it like J Lo will have you out of these over-sized clothes and on to bigger battles.
Like sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment