1.26.2009

Ring Around the Rosie

Ah, what can I say: the story of my life.
This past weekend, a friend and I ventured out to the Apparel Show at Dallas Market Center (fifteen stories to be exact!) I had never been before so it was neat to see the different vendors take on style yet to come. I was impressed by a line out of Hawaii (jamsworld.com) that had gorgeous, bright prints on airy silk caftans. There was also a couple out of L.A. (freewayapparel.com) that was on par incorporating blunt, checkered prints on frilly, feminine pieces . But I went nuts for a vendor that had the funnest, biggest baubles. I pulled a couple of heavily beaded, scoop neck collars to show my friend how one could easily jazz up a simple tank top, my anticipation mounting feeling very right about the look. Very bohemian, almost Egyptian, world infused pieces your daughter would wish to inherit. Talk about 'walk hard': I had the toughest time putting it down!
Then the S.A.G awards came on on Sunday. And wuddaya know, the Cleopatra collar is everywhere.
January Jones of the AMC series "Mad Men" was stunning in her Andrew Gn dress with a strong, gold collar.
This is exactly what I was pining for at the show. Ok. Let's just get this out and over with here:
the woman has fair skin and strawberry blonde hair. Do not say 'But I don't wear gold...' because this lady has a lot bigger problems than you! Do it. Wear it. Get the gold and any other variation of the collar.
Keira Sedgwick topped off her black and white vintage Chanel with a comparable Fred Leighton amethyst.


A little useless information this maven wishes to share: Keira is indeed of relation to the infamous Andy Warhol muse Edie Sedgwick, the mid-sixties "it" girl I could go on and on about. Check out this pic of the pair in which Edie sports one earring. A forewarning:
my next post might be in order to convince the one dangle is my next prediction. Granted, she might of lost hers on a substance binge, but I'm just sayin.
Any which way, Anne Hathaway declared she felt amazing in her Azzaro dress, also trimmed with a heavily, bejeweled collar, as did Eva Longoria Parker in a tangerine Jenny Packham. Though the necklines were lovely, I wasn't a huge fan of either as I think Eva's had too many ruffles (yes, I said 'too many' ruffles!)and Anne's just seemed a bit typical. But she was also decked out in over a MILLION dollars worth of jewels, so maybe I can get over it.
But Miz Park-ah did rightly incorporate another big look of the season: tangerine and pink. Laura Linney was lovely in Michael Kors single, shoulder strap, but Cameron Diaz worked it first at the Golden Globes (Chanel). It was a complimenting look for her but major irk for PCD: steam, iron, or press your highly visable look! Especially couture! Hellooo? Anything in there blondie??
But ok, I do looove the third look of this awards season: the single strap and off the boney shoulder look.
Christina Applegate rocked it in an emerald (eek) Emanuel Ungaro while Katie Holmes (er, wait--is it Cruise? Or Kate Cruise? whatev) was my pick of the night in Jil Sander.
Seriously, I've study this piece and it is truly a one of a kind.
Technically, this is deemed a 'cut-out' look with the slit at her waist, but the left shoulder drape suggests shrug so I'm filing this under "Illusion". Notice how the skinny slit allows her so much curve and of course that boney shoulder! It's not that I'm advocating cartilage, rather, merely attempting to reinforce the dramatic appeal of such allusions.

Thanks to all my sistas out there who are continuing to read the story of my life. It's friends like you that prove having a Pretty Cheap Dress isn't just a dream! :)

2 comments:

  1. So well written lady! I'm so glad we are friends because the business woman world has a tendency to suddenly alter my fashion sense. Much like that feeling when you have been sitting and sipping champagne all night then suddenly stand up to find you are not sure if you even brought a purse??? And oh my goodness what color was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Amy I thought you were going to say "You stand up and wonder why you are standing..." ha, but unsure if you brought your purse is also very true!

    ReplyDelete