1.03.2009

To Oh, oh 8, with love

True to form, Pretty Cheap Dress is late. But I want you to think back for a moment to a time you were waiting on someone. Every passing minute feels like molasses--as if seconds turned tangible and is now slowly, drizzling through your body. I know that's how you were feeling waiting for this post, but recall what happened when they finally showed up: you were just happy they made it ok.
Hark! I present you a more than 'ok' list of my favourite nine* songs of 2008.
First, this was very difficult for me--as CSS would say "Music is my boyfriend." Like that sweet tasting honey, your favourite song can seep through your skin, rock your veins, and invigorate you into motion. How you dress represents how you feel. And how you feel starts from the inside. Do not be late: get these tunes in you now. Or, at least, be fashionably sooner than later.
*Listed in no particular order. And I gave up wracking my brain to settle on just 10, so I stopped at nine.







Get a playlist!
Standalone player
Get Ringtones!

1. "Paper Planes", M.I.A.
Sure, the title suggests 'paper' as the material for transport, but musically, this song is the passport to anywhere. Culturally infused, this Sri Lankan born, London schooled, UK export captures universal style by creating her own. It looks like New York is the backdrop for the video, but really it could be any major city. From the hyper-active, dizzying geometric patterns to her two-tone hair, M.I.A makes it clear she is 'too cool to be a Rocca Wear model' ("Bird Flu", Kala) by backing up her sound with her funky style, and encouraging you to do the same. Any and everywhere.

2. "Flashin' Lights", Kanye West
Released early in the 08, Kanye West 'killed it' with "Flashin' Lights". If you have any affinity for CSI and the like, this video is a must see.
One will never question what a love lorn woman in heels will do; I'm just sayin', she spared him the heel. How do you know you're smokin' hot? When you hear this beat with each shift of your hips.

3. "American Boy" Estelle featuring Kanye West
Kanye West develops a temporary Brit accent by proxy, but you have to give it to him: the man can call a hit no matter the dialect. Every girl has small requests ("Take me on a trip, I'd like to go someday/ Take me to New York, I'd love to see L.A..." ) and British beauty Estelle just makes it sound prettier. Caution, aside from developing a foreign accent, "American Boy" may make you flaunt that party dress on tables and specify your tour guide. So I've heard.

4. "I'm Amazed", My Morning Jacket
The slowly controlled drum opening and delicate guitar rift introduce a sweet song that simply infuses appreciation for the things that are 'amazing.' Although the lyrics clearly state the bands dissonance with foreign affairs, the harmonious chorus line "I'm amazed..." makes me want to throw up my hands and rejoice for all the good things in life. Erykah Badu dropped in at a MMJ show and wowed the band for a performance of 'Tyrone'. One of the best shows of my life.

TIE

"Lovers in Japan", Coldplay
I was fortunate to see my beloved band in San Jose, CA this past summer visiting one of my best friends. The newly released "Prospekt" was our soundtrack as we toured San Francisco on bike and hopped around vineyards from Napa to Sonoma. While "Lovers in Japan" sets the locale in a much further eastern splendor, the melody lifts you in a hopeful, weightless air---we should call it 'The Chris Martin Affect'.

5. "Time to Pretend", MGMT
First, MGMT was the band of the summer. I was soo stoked to see them at the Austin City Limits Festival, but must admit I had no idea what I was getting into. This is how many people were at the six-plus stages festival:

And that is how many people wanted to see MGMT. Fortunately, I squeezed my way through a gillion people (the biggest no. you can have) to get relatively close. Really what I saw was the most bazaar fashion expedition I could ever hope to see in a gathering of a gillion people. No picture could captivate each and every persons individual and fearless style. Lots of hot insert-any-colour-here spandex, even more skin, Ray Bans (et. al) on everyone, suede sweatbands and any other neo-native headdress, and tons of Jesus shoes. Or none at all. One might of thought the kids all came from a yard sale but the thing is, a lot of times, much is spent in obtaining that certain look. MGMT sings "I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw I'm in the prime of my life...We're fated to pretend" and so do all their fans.


6. "Sex on Fire", Kings of Leon

The entitled chorus line makes it kind of difficult to publicly karaoke this song, but make no mistake, you totally want to wail it. (That's what she said.) These southern rock, Nashville natives have been around for a while, but 08 was their break-out year with "Sex on Fire". The tune ruminates discovery and the crescendo chorus beautifully captures the importance of...collaboration.

7. "Move", CSS
Ask any musician if being described as 'that band with that song' is bothersome, they might say "It's not if you're Apple!" "Music is My Hot Hot Sex" was featured on a coveted ipod commercial, furthering this Brazilian bands exposure. I also caught their performance at ACL and was absolutely shocked by the energy of this group. Check out there video for "Move"-- it's truly a must see, and take a moment to read their bio. Quite an interesting story.


'CSS' is short for 'Cansei de Ser Sexy', which is Portuguese for 'I'm tired of being sexy'. I concur.

8. "Put a Ring on It", Beyonce

Leave it to B to squeeze one more hit into a year. Seriously, this woman is nuts. Phenomenal. My brother was confused by this song: "I don't get it: didn't she get 'secretly' married and now she has this song 'Put a Ring on it?'" Good question, but really, do you think that a woman, men and women equally dream of has only one beloved suitor?

*B is also credited for the addition of 'bootylicious' in the English dictionary.

9. "Electric Feel", MGMT

Writing this post was difficult as music is such a huge influencer for me in many ways. I just love it all! But 'Electric Feel' was the first song I heard from MGMT and has been my main go-to since. Each listen takes me to the middle of the dance floor of studio 54, in a floor-length, white gauzy jumpsuit, silver marcasite encrusted platforms which float me near and far, my neck and hand bedazzled in chunky layers of the same jewel. "She got the power in her hands, To shock you like you won't believe..Ooh girl/Shock me like an electric eel/Baby girl/Turn me on with your electric feel."
And forgive me, but it just might be my ode to 2009.


No comments:

Post a Comment