1.19.2009

Avoid Stripping Down...at least in public: A Guide to Travel Attire

Recently, I had the pleasure of accompanying a dear friend to Scottsdale, Arizona to attend the Fiesta Bowl football game, in which the University of Texas beat, er, played Ohio State. Really, I could be writing a post regarding how difficult it is to locate an adequate amount of Texas Orange garb for three days, but alas, this post is actually about travel attire. And yes, Texas Orange is an official, specific colour of which I do not fully adhere.
I've read articles offering tips on how to "Pack the most Punch" in small, restrictive casing, or how to "Travel Comfortably in Style", but not reminding how to "Avoid Stripping Down Entirely before Airport Security, Fellow Travelers, and Incognito, Airway Traveling Pervs." Furthermore, it was quite disheartening watching elder folks forced to nimbly remove their shoes as I suppose you never know when terrorists will recruit the elderly. And I can't even imagine what anxiety a solo traveling parent must suffer! I mean, I've always enjoyed people watching, especially in airports for regional or international style, but c'mon, no one deserves such 'self-inflicted', offensive humiliation. (Note, I'm sure there's some added charge in your ticket for the 'entertainment'!)
Consider these tips for easier travel:

1. Wear socks. Matching socks.

My first mistake upon said strip tease, was hastily pairing slightly mis-matched socks. Most likely unnoticeable to an equally prodded public, this telling sign of carelessness was my first concern, even aside from silently fretting over my socks getting dirty. Also, no one is excused from sweaty feet. There is nothing worse than being trapped--as either the fragrant vagrant or captive passenger- nothing worse than be stuck with smelly feet.
Unless you are Kate Moss with your own personal security check point, the shoes are coming off.

2. Wear comfortable, no fuss shoes.
There are two approaches one can take when considering travel footwear:

  • If you opt to minimize you look to better streamline getting through security, go ahead and throw some energy toward your shoes. BUT, in doing so, consider any time restrictions, gate locations, connecting flights, and anything else that could prevent getting there on time. Rushing to ultimately reschedule because you missed your flight is pretty embarrassing too...

  • Rather, cliche as it may be, opt for comfortable, no muss, no fuss shoes such as Liz Claiborne 'Bare Leather' Slip Ons which are available at DSW ($20). I am a hardware girl and love the gold links across the bridge. Or try these Coconuts 'Vinny' Ankle Boots, also available in black.
    That added entertainment? Watching a 6" tall glam-azon reduced to normalcy when peeling off her heels. Personally, I prefer to keep my style secrets underwrap which includes heighth illusion. Listen to me, opt for flats.
3. Textiles over Hardware

Paper beats rock: this will be the only time you will hear me recommend less hardwear. After removing my boots to reveal (slightly) different socks, removal of my rocker belt, loosing my nipped sheath of a shirt dress, and sending my leather jacket (no, I didn't look like Axle Rose) through the 'see it all' box, I was still setting off the alarm. I threw my hands in the air for the three waiting feeder lines to see I had nothing left to lose, when the guard asked "Could it be your arm band bracelet?"...Eyeah, it could be. Clearly, hardwear is my second skin, but rather than holding up the system further exposing your fashion idiosyncrasies, minimize. Or just remember it's there. p.s.-that's a baby carrier slung around Gweni..!

4. Redefine the 'carry-all bag'.

Most carriers allow one carry on, and one carry all--a.k.a., your handbag. I wouldn't typically encourage over-stuffing a decent bag, but hey, sometimes it happens. Personally, I insist on carrying my make-up and jewelry as both are acquired collections that cannot be replaced if lost, and more recently, my laptop has been added to that list. Not only was I able to carry on these items in a sizable hobo bag, but also two 10 oz. containers of snacks, and much to my surprise a ceramic coffee mug! (I had stuck the mug in the bag as not to forget the gift and discovered it at the airport!)
I promise you, no one would have guessed I was packing so much--shoot, I didn't even know! But it is here you can maximize your look for all you are missing.

Opt for quality since you are packing quantity. An excellent travel bag should stand alone and is another tenured piece; consider a neutral colour and classic cut such as this spacious Sabina leather satchel from Urban Outfitters ($298). The taupe color is a seasonless neutral and dual straps enable many looks.
The braided handles on this Lux Tab bag are a nice detail to compliment the plum wine colour (Urban Outfitters, $68).

5. The last thing to consider for traveling in style is the weather. Going from cold to hot and/or everything in between? I went to San Francisco this past July, apparently touring during the cities' winter, a crisp 50/60*'s. (!) Didn't know that when packing for the trip, but fortunately made it work given the cardigans I had packed as cover ups. I really like this shawl collared cardigan or this scarlet-colored boyfriend card ($39), both at Urban Outfitters.
Just enough color, and simple enough to carry, later you can belt it for a more pulled together look.
There are many things to remember when traveling, but the most important is to consider your comfort. Would you like to relax in a soft shawl for the duration of your trip? Not sure the agenda and therefore clothes to pack? Think in layers. Everything you take should be cohesive--but should not be dependent on something else to make it work. (What if you forget a basic or get an accidental stain?!) As long as you work in layers, you will command your comfort. And assuming you know your audience, now you can strip.
Happy Trails!

2 comments:

  1. I did indeed need travel fashion advice! Btw, I have some new rainboots (a la Wellies!) for my trip to Seattle in Feb. My fashion q is this: Do I have to have straight leg jeans to wear said boots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Negative ghostwriter! If I could, I would wear my boots everyday. The only reason I don't is to not cause a scene everywhere I go (! seriously, I feel like J Lo when I sport them) There is something so freeing about rainboots: you are prepared on land and sea, as well as those unexpected mud pits (I once carried two friends to dry land!) Wear with casual skirts, tights, and of course skinny jeans. You are on an expedition, so exhibition those things!

    ReplyDelete