1.12.2009

Part I: Golden Globe Favourites

I want to preface this post with a bit of information regarding Pretty Cheap Dress. First, I thoroughly enjoy researching, discovering and sharing new and insightful information according to this forum. This involves constant web research, online memberships which include endless junk emails, a vast magazine library (of which I recycle when we part ways), conflicting Tivo schedules, travel (by foot or otherwise) and pretty much any other mode of communication in which I can pull the best of the best. The torment of a maven is staying on your side by not coming across as a 'know-it-all', and at the same rate, not be misleading or incorrect in attempting to assist. I suppose the reason I am saying all this is because my intent was to create pretty entities to connect one across the fashion board. But the truth is, it's a big ass board and Rome wasn't mapped by a memo.

Thanks to Kaitlin for reminding me the Golden Globes were on Sunday. I usually only catch the Oscars and Grammys, but the experts are right: the Globes are completely indicative of what's to come.

This post will be broken down into three parts: Part I: Golden Globe Favourites, Part II: Predictions, and Part III: Globe to Global Style.

Always a stunner, Eva Longoria Parker looked flawless in a form fitting Reem Acra gown. It was cited as red, but on screen had a deeper reflection leaning more toward red-orange. I've not seen that color before. Consider first glance the scallop bust line, drawing the eye to the tight bodice, then let's the captive loose in the mermaid train. Clearly inspirational from head to toe.

I think I screamed when I saw Amy Adams Lorraine Schwartz
diamond encrusted leaf earrings. Adam and Eve anyone? Eve-ning beauty with her gorgeous red hair...? Agh, love-ly. Just lovely.

Eva more, Eva adore, Miss Eva Mendes was full of it in her white volume Dior. Such a standout with the exaggerated hipster accent, accompanied by a circumference, turquoise necklace.

Kate Winslet took home two globes for Best Supporting and Leading Actress, and won many more looks in her black Yves St. Laurent column dress. I love the clean lines and angles in the bodice yet the delicate flow in the length.
Maggie Gyllenhaal was the cat's meow in Lanvin's spotted, single shoulder vamp. Hopefully this blue and black progressive print will be the first step in moving the greater public away from similar orange versions. Look at that layered shoulder...!
While there were many other winning looks be it outstanding dress or jewelry, I have to say Kate Beckinsale in J. Mendel was ideal in both. Ok, maybe I am a little biased to this look, but first, the facts (naturally). Not only does your host wish to arm you with the freshest looks, I also like to design them. This is a garment I created in late November:


Look familiar? Incidentally, I was on a serious prowl for a polished garnet or a heavy jade chandelier earring at the start of the holiday season. I had the look in my mind but none could quite capture my eye--er, wallet. Leave it KB in Fred Leighton jewels.
But, there is hope. First, Fred Leighton. Then Forever 21. :)

2 comments:

  1. Agh! I'm such a fashion reject! I was reading about best/worst online today, and Maggie G was definitely considered a best. Not by me, though! By the by, you SHOULD reconsider watching the Bachelor and SHOULD read www.ihategreenbeans.com. I'm telling you, HUGELY entertaining. Well, tonight's episode was pretty much just painful and awkward, but I'm sure that Lincee (author of ihategreenbeans) will still have hilarious things to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also forgot to mention that I LOVE the Kate B shirt!

    ReplyDelete