12.29.2008

Pink Is (not) My Favorite Color

..I...am going to get so much heat for this.
I have spent the past eh, lifetime, hatin' on pink. Even so, anytime I would sport an appropriate variation, I would excuse the hue saying something like "Oh, but this is hot pink..." as if this would clarify my contempt. Surprisingly, I fell for the entitled scent from the House of Lotion, er, Victoria's Secret promising myself I would transfer the potion into a less humiliating container. And no child o' mine gets anything society has deemed indicative of gender in the hot topic hue. No Suri, green (my actual favourite color!) would have to work from Aunt-i Jess. But the thing is, I don't hate hate pink, rather, I think it's the bad choices many make (of which can be reverted by reading the 'Remix' post), in opting for a 'pink shirt' or what's worse, a pink Juicy sweatsuit. Just like you and I, pink wishes to age gracefully, so let's take the first steps together.

The first place pink makes sense is on your face. Here, Rhianna goes bold with the bright shade and a dark, deeply lined eye while Kate Bosworth works my favourite of these two looks. Notice the use of shade creating dramatic contour on the cheeks. Promising 'the prettiest bloom in the bunch!', Benefit's 'PosieTint' ($28) is an excellent long lasting, stay put option that doubles as both a lip and cheek stain.
While Benefit always receives high marks and is well worth it's value, Pretty Cheap Dress has many reasons to opt for a simple tube of lipstick. First, the ease of application is priceless when switching lanes, switching stations and switching purses in one deft move. The desirable dewy effect of 'rouge' no longer exists (it's all pressed powder blush or stain), so the variety of colour options is limitless.

Also, at a fraction of the price ($2) one can afford to have many tints be it 'Fragile Pink' or 'Snow Cone' shown here by NYC. And!, an extra, extra perk those stains and blushes can't offer is a tasty cheek for those unexpected Europeans as some offer a slight fruit flavor. Check out Allure Magazine's backstage looks for more inspiration. I especially like Balmain's natural palette for the season.
This light-weight sweater (The Limited, $20) offers many looks and will prompt just the same. The rich, pleat detailing is perfect with literally anything; feeling a little simple? Layer any colour tank top or toss over dresses intended for warmer months. Let the collar fall off your shoulder for an extra romantic touchPull double duty with another impending seasonal look: floral art nouveau. HURRY this all-silk shift dress (The Limited, $25) is absolutely lovely for Sunday afternoon excursions.
Support the deep v plunge with this superfine eyelet scarf shown in here Cyclamen (?what) Pink or compliment in Blue Glare (Old Navy $12.50).
My Persian wrap in a similar dusty rose colour has been an absolute staple through many seasons. It was a gift via a friends' travels and great to keep in mind as an elegant gift idea.

Diane Kruger tests warmer waters in this flannel combo.

While it's not too late to work the flannel effect, do so in moderation. For spring, I love each of these pieces separately: lighten up the look by leaving the blouse untucked with a super light wash jean and flat, brown penny loafers for a casual, day to day look. This Kensie ombre skirt ($88)would be great with an over-sized, off the shoulder t-shirt similar to this poplin cut found at American Apparel ($38).

Remember, as long as you think in tones, you are safe in the mix creating an optimal colour scheme.

I knew my fight against pink was over upon seeing this pair of pearls found at a local boutique.

I haven't been able to locate a comparable set online (I'm telling you!), so be on the look out for this simple, pretty, pearl popularized by minimalist Angelina Jolie.
This multi-bauble band hits all the rights notes found at Forever 21 ($6).
While I do promote the use of colour, I think my biggest argument against pink was the lack of options. Face it, wear that fuchsia ruffle once and you're pretty much over it. If there is one adjustment to the tone I might recommend which you can wear often: layer different length strands of the pink hue pearl over any monochromatic ensemble. You may be wondering where you can obtain this look; I have a feeling more options will become more readily available and affordable in the coming months, so don't be afraid to mix and blend pearls and metals as you build your pearl collection. Soon, you too may say 'Oh, but this is hot pink!'


P.s--My biggest leap of fuchsia faith! (Silk Gillian vintage)

No comments:

Post a Comment