12.19.2008

Re-mix, part 1

Having a tough time finding a 'pretty cheap dress'?

In this post, I want to discuss (and potentially eliminate) some of the 'dead ends' you may find yourself at within your wardrobe. Remember, the purpose of a Pretty Cheap Dress is to help you connect across the fashion board through wise choices, in a reasonable, cost effective way. This means thinking outside the box; a true stylist believes rules are meant to be broken! In doing so, we broaden the spectrum.

As I've said, I've spent 26 years researching what the experts say, and they all have a list of basic pieces. I'll be honest: I can't say I own one of those single, basic pieces to start with. Reason for this is pretty simple (as in, attractively simple!): there is more to the piece than simplicity! And really, that's what we mean.

Let's start first within your current wardrobe. Tim Gunn's list of 'Top 10 Essential Pieces' looks like this:

1. Basic black dress; 2. Trench coat; 3. Dress pants; 4. Classic Shirt; 5. Jeans; 6. Any occasion top; 7. Skirt; 8. Day dress; 9. Jacket; 10. Sweatsuit alternative; and for most women who can't stay within the lines, 11. an indulgent trendy item.

It should be noted, the jacket was replaced by the blazer, and the 'any occasion shirt' was replaced by a cashmere sweater. It should also be noted, a blazer was replaced by a cardigan, and personally, cashmere is expensive! Which brings me to my next point: even 'the basics' are trends.

Much in the same way we rationalize the 'right' guy, I want you to rationalize your wardrobe. No, not in the sense one realizes 'it's all wrong', but rather there is a time and a place to make it work. One of my favourite lines that I believe transcends comes from the critically acclaimed sitcom 'The Office': "...Angela isn't really a gambler. Andy isn't really a gamble." According to 'Essential Piece #11' we all most likely own many indulgent pieces and it is here where I want you to rationalize according to your wardrobe. Give it a gamble!

Like I sayd, (oh! I think that last glass of wine is getting to me!): there should be more to the piece than simplicity.
  • My 'basic black dress' is for a funeral. It has a high collar, lace neckline; even so, I most often wear it with a pair of black, slouchy boots. I mean, c'mon, if this is a funeral, someone's gotta be the life of the party. The point is details and/or how to accommodate which transcends the occasion.

  • Actually, I do have a couple of trench coats- most likely by default. But I suppose the best recommendation I can give is white. A white trench coat is a stand out in any crowd. A light-weight, all weather (at very least, thigh length) trench coat will satisfy hot (as in ouch!) or cold-- whatever your ensemble, a white trench will simplify and clean your look.

  • My drivers' license claims I am 5'2", of which I claim 'on a good day'. For many reasons, dress pants are not my fav. For some, it may be a high waist; others, you probably overload a pear shape with layers of elongated tops, which causes 'lump sum'. If slacks are a staple for you, refer to the 'fit' post. There is nothing pretty about too tight or too short--overall, an improper fit. Do not rationalize (nor keep!) pants that do not fit.

  • ...I'm just gonna say it: a T-SHIRT IS NOT A CLASSIC SHIRT. As a matter of fact, t-shirts should be reconciled (FIVE is probably reasonable! Another thing we collect!)--reconciled to sleep wear or work-out wear (separate occasions might I add). So what then is a classic shirt? Your classic shirt(s) should be one in which you can build upon. One in which you can layer a comparable (in tone-contrasting or similar) piece that will transcend many occasions. Currently (remember, the 'classic shirt' is a trend) my classic shirt is a white tank top, a square neck line trimmed with lace that allows just enough peep through of which I can build upon.

  • The best advice I have discovered in regard to jeans is when you find the perfect pair, be willing to buy two. One pair should be tailored for heels, the other for flats (all form of flats). When it comes to your current wardrobe, much like t-shirts, minimize your basics. This list is about go-to's and you know what you go to, so rid yourself of the rest.

  • For those of us that haven't mastered 'every occasion', I'm not sure how to describe the 'every occasion' top. Here is what a stylista and every woman have in common: it's what makes you feel best, no matter the occasion.

  • Next on the list is a skirt. In the 'Colour you bad' post, I touched on 'matching' and the limitations it can bring. Much like colour schemes, a basic skirt should work in many ways. Any variation of the 'classic shirt' can take your 'classic skirt' to many levels. Similarly, you should be comfortable sporting a skirt whenever you feel like it. A Pretty Cheap Dress believes if you didn't have the option, you would be bored with minimal selection.

  • Although I intended this blog to refer to dress as general apparel, there is nothing I feel better in than a pretty day dress. Unlike jeans (of which I recommend you own two of the same), a dress can have many looks thanks to the aforementioned simple basics. A basic square neck, empire waist? Layer over your classic shirt or even under. Take it day to night with a slight heel or a textured wrap.

  • I've owned a variety of blazers (jackets-whatever) across the years, and have learned this much: yes, indeed they do transcend. Given their weight in content, a durable cover up will do just as much for you, even better as an accomplice. Not everyone appreciates this value which can be easily found in unisex; look for rich prints and textured fabrics. Proper care will ensure their value for many years to come and reinforce the value.

  • Clearly, Tim Gunn was hallucinating when he included no. 10 'Sweatsuit Alternative'. The problem I have with it is, first, I think the saying 'give them an inch, and they'll take a mile' seems fitting for such a relaxed look and those that struggle with style. Don't get me wrong: I've not once suggested to sacrifice comfort. But c'mon a 'sweatsuit'? If a simple don't do it isn't enough for you, consider this image you are portraying to a discriminating eye: adding jewelry--ok, no amount of jewelry--even matching necklace, earrings, and bracelet, will say 'I care.' I don't care how 'juicy' (or any other profitable brand) the suit is, it does not cause others to say 'Wow, that female looks tasty. Or athletic,' but rather "TACKY," which I might exclaim if I see you!

The point of my list of 10 essentials is to get you to look at pieces (old and new) in the indulgent ray of light you first purchased them, as well as optional here and now. Wait, wait, wait: it's not that easy (noo t- shirts, noo sweatsuits) and it's not that hard. As you are editing your wardrobe essentials, I want you to consider two things:

1. Have a specific occasion in mind complete with exactly what is necessary to accomplish the look. Do not create a look in your mind you a) don't already own an essential piece to build upon, or b) *will not wear.

2. With this occasion in mind, the piece should play a major role for the event. Furthermore, you should be imagining yourself at your utmost chic.

You might be asking..a lot of questions but recall the title of this post: 'Re-mix'. "Do not create a look you don't already have an essential piece for," because your current wardrobe has been your essentials thus far.

With this in mind, a look you 'will not wear' should not even come to mind. *The statement 'will not wear' is used to help you specify realistic future purchases to build your wardrobe, rather than position against progressive style. (i.e 'I won't wear that' as if it's not your style. Remember, you don't have any!)*

Now that you have your edited garment, ask yourself "Does this piece play a major role that makes me feel my best?"

From this point forward, you can begin to continue to build your wardrobe as you now know your essentials. When scouting new pieces, consider details to build upon, but most importantly, like most gambles, play to win!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! You ARE such the maven! I feel so proud to know you, and am already thinking about how I am in dire need of your fashion assistance.

    ReplyDelete