12.26.2008

Drop bows on 'em

If I had to imagine the most delightful thing a guy would want a girl to wear, I bet they would say something like "A big bow. And nothing else." Seriously, I am so nuts over bows right now, I have absolutely no arguments to being agreeable. Repeatedly.
I picked up on bowtential a couple of months ago (yeah, I just did that, shamelessly), but am still not over it considering I think it's only going to get better or at least become more appreciated. I don't know if it was Madge's come back tour or sweet Coco Chanel whispers from the Heavens, but whoever, wherever brought the bow back, I love ya.
It's not very often in fashion one can confidently say: at this juncture, there is no wrong way to sport a bow. I know you don't believe me. I know you are furiously mentaling through the 80's (which, you just blame on adolescence) in every neon frequency, the words 'What was I thinking?' ringing in your ears. I know those infamous movie lines (courtesy every 'always-a-bridesmaid, never a bride'): "The last thing someone wants to wear in public is a big bow on their ass!" Listen to me. Listen to me: the biggest heartbreak in fashion is it's all been done before. What keeps the heart pumping, is reinvention. Or a by-pass. By-pass the ass.
Behold, the starlets that just might convince you it's beautiful:


Bet you couldn't tell that was a bow on her shoulder?! Here, Eva Mendes lets the drapey exaggeration do the talking with appropriate jewelry accents, as Charlize Theron opts for delicate waves. The shoulder feature compliments the drape and is a subtle nod to the au currant detail.


Even the ever demure Cate Blanchett loves the bow! While the overall effect of the lace, beading and bow are quite lovely, a modified version will have the same effect. This attractive bow detail on a heel kicks up an otherwise simple black dress.


A definite 'twist' to the bow, here, Marissa Tomei covers up with a multi-faceted take. The key is to incorporate appropriately so don't limit the look to the obvious. If you have a hard time finding (or sporting) the bow, keep your eyes peeled for a 'twisted' take, be it applied to the structure of the piece or as an accent.
There is no shame in sporting this necklace everyday so don't even argue.
Don't be afraid of these post holiday party ensembles (Dillard's.com), so lovely in any colour. This white, sleeveless Tahari dress ($128) is timeless. Simply timeless as later, you can remove the skinny matching belt with bow detail or cover up with a cardigan.HURRY, this any occasion dress is a steal at Target.com ($18).

This modified jacket, found at Forever 21 accomplishes the bow accent as well as adds a feminine curve through the cut. Start simple with this flowing top with pleat detailing(Dillard's.com, on sale $24), a classic touch paired with any bottom.

This clutch screams 'bringing sexy bag' (!) found at The Home Shopping Network.com for $25.
Most of the pieces I've shown are in black, which you might be thinking goes against the use of colour. A signature trademark look of the status house Chanel is a strictly black and white ensemble. All of the pieces I've shown will speak status volume-and Chanel, thanks to a tidy little bow.

Quickly, I fell hard for this bracelet (I first thought it was a ring). It says 'I was stolen from Cleopatra's tomb, single-handedly (or armed) charged the roaring 20's, and influenced an entire era today's couture only wishes to do.' Agh, amour. Lastly, and don't cha know I've saved the best for last, behold a couple of starlets that will make you feel beautiful:
I found these at DSW ($50!!) and absolutely love them. Pair with skinny jeans or lace trimmed skirts... actually, these are so gorgeous, wear with a big bow. And nothing else.

1 comment:

  1. You have totally found your niche. Fashion writing is for you! "Confessions of a Shopaholic", anyone? Not that you're a shopaholic, but the premise of the movie... :) By the way, every time you add a post, you should go to www.pingomatic.com, enter in your info, and press the "send pings" button. It will help spread the blog...xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete