4.02.2009

Electric Feel


So I warned you of dying, now I must warn you of things that can strike you. I went running the other night just before--and then during, a brilliant lightning storm. It was one of the most invigorating exercises of my life as I literally thought "What if I run into a lightning bolt...??" If that doesn't motivate you to sprint through a workout, I don't know what will. Anywho, as I was saying, strike...
I've been asked several times when people learn I write a style blog: "So what do you think about that?" pointing out some unsuspecting-suspect fashion villain. "...Um....I don't think about that," is the honest to God to truth--meaning, I don't scope out people for what they are doing wrong, rather struck when something is done differently.
I think that is a very fair assessment for each of us unless you are this 'guy' who has made a career out of Paint.
It is what sets you apart--fundamental value that make the difference. This season, I am finding classic throw-backs are key. It is my theory, the recession is prompting a modern American art renaissance if you will, so what better time than now a brush up:

"Excellent Moments in Personal Style History."

I distinctly recall trailing far behind the cool kids leaving the lunchroom one day in the fourth grade. I must of been finishing my favourite lunch rather than simply disassociating because I don't know why else I would have been separate. A classmate I didn't know very well hung back to ask "Where do you shop?" .....Huh? my face undoubtedly read, as she continued, "You dress different...you always wear things I've not really seen before. Where do you shop?" I'm pretty sure my wardrobe was hand-me-down from my cool (double) cousin from Ohio, but since prompted, rallied into whatever memory recalled whence throwing on my clothes. I still remember wearing (daily) that over-sized, cropped, army green sweatshirt citing "The Gap", comparable to the one shown above (American Apparel, $42) Kuddos to that girl!

As I said, I totally rocked the prairie girl boots back in the day and would do so now as they hold a special place in my heart. I had a pair my mother got me from whoknowswhere that I ran into the ground. The ram I am, it killed my dad to see me still sporting shoes with near holes. "We'll get you some more!" he argued; easily said, off we went to find my new (had to be exactly the same!) boots. After the hundredth womens' shoe store and third mall, I talked myself into sparing my father anymore humiliation in taking me shopping, attempting to convince "...these will be fine..."
"Mija, get exactly what you want. If this is not what you want, do not settle for less."
We ultimately found a much more expensive, er, lovely pair at Nine West that, now that I think about it, must of been what turned me on to opting for wine or burgundy coloured shoes! Such storied value encourages brand loyalty but unfortunately for Nine West does not stimulate re-issue. (Urban Outfitters, $158)
There was a time in my youth, all I ever wanted in this life was "a pink baby named Amy," as pink was my favourite colour, every little girl loves her babies, and Amy was the prettiest name I knew. No offense, but you know how I feel about pink--in general-, I don't need a baby (real or not), and ...I know way too many Amy's! Must of been when I hit junior high, I dropped two-thirds of that list and concentrated on my favourite thing: a pink pique shirt dress paired with matching jellies (shown Lacoste @ Macy's, $140). Agh! I loved that look and while I will not encourage the hued dress, I do think the comfort of a solid cotton shirt dress will be invaluable this summer. Opt for this "Island" green update paired with bronze jellies (Rubbish Button Tab T-Shirt, Nordstrom, $21; "Madeline" Jelly, Endless.com $25).


Of course, there were looks I can't understand even in rational hindsight. I had this short, pleated blue jean skirt that, now that I think about it, I'm sure was absurdly too small for me. It made me feel like a cheerleader in day clothes! ...and after a quick search am not finding anything like it in my size today.... :) I wonder at times if my look is too young; am I to dress 'older' or more sophisticated or more proper? While in Austin, I mentioned to my life coach, Julie, how I loved Austin style: "It's so fearless."

"Yeah, but at least you look put together," she said. "These girls think they can just throw on whatever and it works because it's Austin."
Maintaining that belief system is the fallacy--the true crime committed that has created successful "What Not to Wear" TV. Remember to aim for timeless pieces of fundamental value that capture and hold your affections as it is such that strike a chord not only for you, but your unsuspecting audience. Strike accord. You want shock value, but not by running into a lightning bolt!

1 comment:

  1. As much as I loved Laura Ingalls as a girl, I don't think I am down with the boots.

    I'm just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete