4.21.2009

At your service, Part II

"No talking." would be my catch phrase if ever I am deemed worthy a verbal trademark. Ironic, I know, seeing as how I am a communicator!, but sometimes*, I just like to say "no talking" and expect everyone to understand mums' the word. zzzip. no. nil.

So I have been in a 'no talking' mode, as one can see from my sparse posting. There are a couple reasons for this--unmotivated, un-inspired, addicted to carbs...you feel me don't you?, but the best of such is it would be terrible. The post would be an awful attempt to weave weighty world events and fashion or be downright frivolous when I am against the very act! (Hellooo, why hasn't anyone made mention Michelle Obama is really the "Great American Blank Canvas" we have knowingly stroked over with a true American icon?)

Alas, I am going to push on and once again bring forth the issue of presentation. (Hellooo, why hasn't anyone talked to me?!) I wrote about--not only the importance of presentation, but the value of feedback according to translation in "At your service, Part I." Go back and read it, folks, so you can see where I am coming from and where not to go. That goes for you too Michelle....waiting...


...ready?

I have heard many of you find your looks in the most obvious place. One, that like a review, merely gets me in the door but does not feed me full of what I am looking for. I speak of the mannequin folks, found in store windows which offers a mere smear of endless possibilities--which are better found on the racks. I get it: you aren't very good at putting together looks questioning the cohesiveness or just don't enjoy searching. Some--hmm, all of my favourite finds took a little work, a little patience to discover the merit of the dig.

Mannequin style is ideal; the look comes from a team of stylists who get together and determine the direction of an ad campaign and align their stores to reflect a constant tone. But you should be reading 'they decide what half of America wears,' as most buyers stop there, at exactly what is found on the doll. As does any artist, it is the goal of a stylist to inspire the buyer to the next aesthetic--to get you to showcase your skills a-la "My Kid Could Paint That!" or "I can do better than that!"

The point is: prove it.
Start before you hit the stores by drafting your own looks stemming from options I have provided (shopstyle.com). I tend to pull pieces according to two criteria: 1) if I think you will wear it, and 2) cost, usually under $100, as I leave it to you to find comparable style--no matter the cost, for less. That is your reward for the dig! And get inspired! I did a double-take when I saw the cutest girls walking down the street wearing the old Steve Urkel glasses with no lenses! He made nerds look cool! Er, "The Urkel", which I know you attempted at least once...

Don't get stuck in the shadow of a doll, as it your unique position that will catch attention. Or at least, revive a phrase delivered, of course, with a smile.


*"sometimes" is my reservation to occasionally post empty body. It just means 'I am here and am looking for the right words and 'that's hot!' style.' :)

1 comment:

  1. LOVELOVELOVE the two floral tops! (I would, wouldn't I?) The Buckle... who knew?

    ReplyDelete