3.03.2009

The Pin Show

I actually have no idea why it's called The Pin Show. But I can tell you what it is: such fun! I learned of The Pin Show after taking Project Make--a seven week course in which, upon completion, even the most amateur (hand in air) learns to sew. But honestly, Project Make became more to me than learning how to construct. Working with owner and operator Julie McCollough Kim was truly inspiring as I also learned of her tenacious vision for the Bishop Arts District. The woman is fearless--a heavy hand and undeniable force behind the re-emergence of Dallas' Historic Bishop Avenue. Day or night, I've seen her confront booming, disruptive, (scary looking) passers-by, running into the street like a pit-bull parent defending her lot. Yet, she has a way of making you feel important--intricate and necessary to do your part in the local community.
Joined by Rachel Nichelson, Julies' infectious vision for local artists spread from her quaint studio to create the Pin Show--an 'Independent Fashion Event' hosted this year at the train stop Union Station. Encouraged by my mentor, Julie had told me to volunteer for the show as a burgeoning stylist; truth be known, I was completely unaware of the depth and scale, and held reservation. Good thing! That thing was sold out!

Twenty-five designers, 50 some/odd plus models, a fleet of local hair and make-up artists--all celebs in their own right, numerous crews of photographers, and of course, not to mention the stylists. This was my first show folks, --which was impressive to a few of my fellow counterparts, so forgive me as I can't recall the names of all my favourite designers, nor took even decent pictures. From back stage :)

Cooper by Courtney had a lovely, feminine vision featuring girly, clean lines in colour block dresses, such as the Brianna shown left. Reading her biography, Courtney shares a similar belief to a PCD: "The perfect dress, can completely change a woman's attitude and give the confidence they need to change the world and achieve their dreams."
Cooper by Courtney has many outlets across the states so be sure to keep an eye--and ask! your local boutiques for this talented designer.
Antithesis was another highly anticipated designer. Some designs required accessories to complete the look--but not Antithesis. The fabric, the cuts, each piece spoke for itself and told a stand-out story. "The opposite of ordinary," Antithesis designs for the Woman, the Lady and the Lover, the silent story every woman wants to tell with just a glance.

I first saw Meling Chang's extraordinary knit wear this past fall at the Make Studio. Chang magically blends organic cottons, polyester, and silk in a way I have not seen before for her line Meline. No matter the content, each piece is assured a special hand; think of the receiving blanket you would bring your baby home in and that's the wonderment Meline wishes to provide. Chang introduced menswear at the show and was quite a hit. Comfortable yet complimenting, a breathable wear; just check out the happy models(!) to my left and right.
The Pin Show was a great mix of comfort and couture. Shemura was the most tenured in the formal wear category featuring lovely elegant pleat work and intricate beading. I recently learned of an upcoming show featuring this design house and hope to learn more of their aesthetic.

I was so thrilled to see a former classmate, Abbiee Qyewole, introduce her line Qetura. Abbiee has a skillful way of blending Western elegance with African inspired print. While her colour palette is a rich blend of mature neutrals, the cuts and prints scream something fierce. Abbiee herself could be a model and carries that attribute to her clothes. Great job Abbiee! and I can't wait to see what the future holds!
Going into the Pin Show, I wasn't sure what to expect. One part of me wanted to act a fool, get lost in the racks, let out a squeal, and ask the make-up artists to apply eyelashes. Another part had to take hold and repeat "Don't screw up. You're working. Don't scr....ohh!! EEEEEKKKK!!"
I allowed the latter for the finale of the show. I absolutely lost it for newcomers Tracey Villancana and Casey Smith's collaborative line Classic Edge, an impressive build of rock and roll formal wear. I was like a stalker. I seriously followed the thing around back stage, gazing deeply into the black sheen, admiring each sparkle in the silver grommets. The final moments before she took stage, I screamed to my new friends Jasmine and Yasmina "She's going on!! She's going on!" and ran to the side stage, keeping on eye for the first steps and listening for crowd gasps. I didn't hear them, rather an excited applause and whistle, of course once I stopped doing so myself.
Bravo to Julie and Rachel for bringing such vision to the Metroplex and to all the many people who make it happen. Get involved folks, for you never know where the next train stops.

1 comment:

  1. I would stalk that black gown too! I love that last pic of you-it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete