3.05.2009

A Most Excellent Resolve


I'm not gonna lie (unlike some people): I believe in retail therapy. I don't care how short lived it is, whatever you are buying to make yourself feel better, should carry over the full extent til the day you wear it. It's been my selling point thus far. A pretty cheap dress that is.
Retail therapy: "shopping with the primary purpose of improving the buyers mood or disposition." Apparently, a European study found that 33% of shoppers had a rash or unnecessary addiction to shopping, the worse cases found amongst the Scottish. I say, rash therapy from Scotch or shopping?? Don't make me choose.
And so, I have not been very inspired as of late. There are certain things that make you want to--at very least, look pretty, be it an occasion, mood determination, or even an effort to impress. One of my favourite lines comes from Nathaniel Hawthorne's Young Goodman Brown: "With this excellent resolve for the future, Goodman Brown felt himself justified in making more haste on his present evil purpose."
Much analysis has been debated over Hawthornes' story; the irony in naming the flawed central character 'Good'man Brown and of course the mission at hand: should the Young Puritan have journeyed into the notoriously evil forest as if seeking temptation?
I think my position reverts back to one of my original posts: Colour You (me) Baddd. Meaning, if you're gonna do it, it better be worth it.
And it is. As proven below.


My dear friend Rachel (AbsolutelyRachel that is) had it out for the dress on the far right, comparable to this one. I was requested to find that dress for much cheaper (than $343)--which just meant do what I do best. Thank you! and all, please continue to send me your requests. If I can't find it online, then I may find it at, as my mother says, 'one of my gettin' places'--and it will surely be a one of a kind. :)
Note: I know what it's like to get your heart set on something particular (and expensive, where nothing else will do, except that you are minus dividends), which is why you need to go with what I got.
My favourite of my comparable finds is this brush stroke print by Kensie, Macy's $88. The battaeu neckline and full skirt add for a comfortable fit; shown paired nicely with tights, with or without, this look would be great for 'it's just dinner' or as a super fun party dress. This v-neck floral, shown below, would be a great Sunday (funday) dress, featuring braided straps and slight pleat detail. (Nordstrom, $58)



This C&C California bubble dress is also a fun find, and very reasonable at $39 (marked down from $110). Come summer, I live in my cotton dresses and can guarantee you will too. A string of bad luck, I ruined several in a matter of no time from sun tan oil, or somethin'. Let it be known: a bronze glow means nothing when you have a heartbreak! You're just burnt in your spotted dress! Opt for heavy prints and a good mix of colour in effort to conceal mini-mishaps.
I am also digging the lovely--I call them 'housewives' dresses, popularized by my icon Lucy. She always seemed so comfortable haggling with Ricky for a part in 'his' show, or hosting the albeit neighbors Fred and Ethel Mertz. (Did you know: early in the show, producers required Ethel to appear more homely and carry a few extra pounds because she was actually younger than Lucy. Later in the show--having gained a following, Ethel (Vivian Vance) contested the stipulation and was allowed to return to norm.) Newport, $39


Return to norm! Kick off your spring thing gifting yourself a couple of these comfortable, easy go-to dresses. I'm not telling you to lose yourself in a buying frenzy, rather reminding it's ok to check out the forest because you will find your way out. Of course, it will take a most excellent resolve. And you will need a Pretty Cheap Dress.

2 comments:

  1. I need a Pretty Cheap spring dress! And I mean CHEAP! I'm PO'! So po'! Btw, have you, in all your Lucy admiration, checked out any stills from Mad Men? January Jones' wardrobe is something to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. XX Thank you, BFF!! You did such a great job.(Tho' why, why, why did you link to the other Twinkle dress... now I want TWO!).

    I concur with Katie W, the clothes on Mad Men are ahh-mazing.

    ReplyDelete