3.16.2009

Essen-YOU-al

"Now accepting applications" should be the title of this post. No, no, no--actually it should be something of intrusive urgence like that simply complicated one liner in interviews: "Tell me about yourself." I used to think I was good at meetings, or wooing people but have discovered the opposite--indeed disturbing for a self professed social. Could you explain me according to a PCD?

"So, tell me about yourself..." today means I need to explain my sense of style--why often I am complimented "You always look good!" (--Meaning my clothes look good. I'm no model of perfection.) I don't know the answer. I don't know how to break 'me' down. It takes a distinct sense of self: an awareness, a goal, a motive or solution. That much I know. But I also know it takes practice and living in the great land of unpredictable weather, I am most familiar with change.
Every day is different. Some days, I want to be a sophisticated lady lunching; others I refrain from wearing a bandanna with my low-rider, So. Cal inspired board shorts. I can pretty much look like anybody and that's the beauty of playing with your look. It's still you folks! You will still hear "You always look good!"

So if you would like to be paid a constant compliment and skip that part of the interview, listen up.


Five Pieces That Do the Talking

#1. Of course, I would say a Dress.
This season, I am looking for embroidered details. I am particularly drawn to the bright florals that have a Spanish or Moroccan lean, or crisp eyelet detail, as I believe retailers will soon re-discover the local art from our southern neighbours. Grab anything reasonable when it comes to the detail, but be much more keen to the Spanish lean. (One more thing I can't explain..my ridiculous rhyme.)
The key is to zero in on one detail that sets you apart but still maintains the general function, i.e. can transcend your look however you mix it up. Don't limit yourself!! With each piece, you should have a multitude of options be it with a simple shoe change, by adding a wrap or cardigan, or even simplifying or dramatising your make up.
#2. A comfort 'blanket'.

Absolutely Rachels' Chihuahua dog Darla goes crazy when she pulls out this colourful, two sided quilt she has. She bounces around top to bottom, burrows herself into the wrinkles and will snap at you if you try to hog it all. (She's also 14 years old.) I feel you sister: this is exactly how one should feel in their cardigan or wrap. I've mentioned before the value of a nice shawl, but now would like to edit the function: I throw my wrap over everything. It is, after all, a cover up. Interchange the two, cardigan or shawl, as personal style is a matter of comfort.




#3. We love short, Shorts.

That's not true. I like any and all shorts. Hold it! None-a-this "I hate my legs." "I don't look good in shorts." yada, etc. (I used to think the same of flip flops. Flip flops!) The thing about shorts is, there are rules. If you opt for the leggy exposure, consider the balance. Think of your body according to two halfs:
  • Short-shorts, typically a 9" inseam, look best when paired with a long sleeve top, or by adding layers. It's an eyeball thing. The attention is drawn to what attracts the eye so take the viewer where you want them to go, i.e to the top. Needless to say, minimize the shoe volume.

  • Longer shorts, on the other hand, are the attraction (more material) thus appearing best displayed by minimizing up above. Longer shorts look great with a sleek, sleeveless top, or strappy blouse and highlight such exposed features. Longer shorts are also great to work an unexpected heel, such as a fun platform, thus highlighting the bottom half of your body.

    But if you're like me and hate rules, just wear them all the time.

#4. Long sleeve Dress Shirt.

I love mine and not because it has "dress" in the name. ...Although, it does speak for itself. A cotton-blend, slightly over-sized dress shirt can create a multitude of looks. When I don't have time nor want to think about even dressing myself, I opt for my long sleeve dress shirt paired with whatever I can lay my hands on. Cardigan a little much given the weather or just feeling more casual? A simple dress shirt acts as both a basic and an accent--it's like an oxymoron! It doesn't make sense, yet it does; use the intended function as your function. A loosely rolled up sleeve is casual, while a perfectly proportioned cuff implies otherwise. The same applies to colour and detail. Remember, your dress shirt is talking for you. Just make sure it's not dirty talk.




#5. Statement Jewel.


Unfortunately, I have lost a series of statement jewels over the years. Thus, I use the term loosely. My statement jewel (until that damned day) is a skinny band, marcasite encrusted ring. I get compliments on it often. IT. I get compliments on it. Yet, I can't go without it. By all means, I have the potential to lose it through whatever it is I am doing, but take the chance anyhow. Why? Because that's life! Not only does it draw compliment, it compliments me. My taste, my choice--it speaks of the essence I wish to embody.


With or without, win some lose some, you are essential to what makes such things work. Remember, it's still you, so it still has to be you. Otherwise, it's just an application.

1 comment:

  1. #3 - Levi's 501 cutoffs... they are making a comeback. What do you think? White trash with flip flops, but chic with gladiators?

    (Also, as the mom-ager to the bipolar canine in question, I must note that she will also engage in unprecedented amounts of cuddling with the blanket holder.)

    ReplyDelete