5.26.2009

Stimulus, Check!

Photo by Alfred Eisenstaedt, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1951

When was the last time you learned something 'new'? Hold that thought. Outside of your mouth.
---
So the other night, I learned two things about children: one) it's not always a guarantee they make it inside the toilet. And two) "children bite themselves when they are bored." When my friend Jessica stated the latter, I instantly envisioned a room full of toddlers gnawing on their arms, a "I don't know any better but this is interesting..." look in their eyes. "They bite themselves, Jess??" No, not themselves, but rather each other. Oh. Apparently, and this makes sense, they need to be adequately entertained or have consistent adult interaction. I'm pretty sure I have found my fingers in my mouth more times these past months than I have ever before. I am absolutely bored out of my gourd.
Originally, I suspected my lack of creativity was a result of 'just a funk': a condition evidently onset by excusable lingo such as "recession" and "decline". A visceral funk with little or no defense mech--heck, we were afraid to die by Swine Flu and eyeah, I still found my fingers in my mouth; an actual funk with far less fatalities than the more common strain--lest I remind, it's still out there folks.
So, it's still out there. The lack thereof. The non-inspiring. The 'new'found celebrities and their supposed inherent style. Alas, I realize, the search for all things good often come despite and long after giving up. "Happiness is a journey, not a destination", right? (I also agree "Happiness is a journey, but almost never a song by Journey.")

Here are a couple looks to check yo' stimulus:

True Religion "Jordan" Boyfriend Jean, $246

Ha! You know as well as I do, there is no rationale behind spending this kind of money on rip-torn jeans. But comfort and style are two reasons to bust out the blade and bleach and do it yourself. Recycle a baggy fit or check out your local thrift shop for a men's pair; length is unimportant as this fit and style should always be worn rolled up to complete the lax look.


Levi's 501 cut-offs, American Apparel, $48


I know it's hot out if my legs are sweating. The same goes for you. Like summertime, there are few other options when the heat hits. Lunges, baby.


Off the Shoulder 3/4 Sleeve, $55
Head to thigh, this look is exactly what I'm gunning for. (You should know what's on the feet.) A great find, modal is one of the most comfortable fabrics through many seasons and the 3/4 length sleeve is appropriate at any age.

Max and Chloe Cabochon Ring, $20

A sophisticated dose of colour, I'm really loving all things bauble this summer. Summer Boho is all about textures and prints (and lots o skin); if you are hesitant any combination of the above is too much 'dirty hippy', mix up the eras with clean-line enamel accessories to freshen your look.
Check out my style book for more samples.

Eisenstaedt on Marilyn Monroe, 1961

A recent trip to my beloved cities' flee market, I came across an interesting book I couldn't walk away from. A most famous photographer, Alfred Eisenstaedt captured some of the most unforgettable images in American history, most notably of V-J Day and the infamous sailor kissing the nurse, 1945. The subjects of that classic picture are unknown, as Eisenstaedt hurriedly captured the unexpected moment and was unable to cite their names. Eisenstaedt on Eisenstaedt, a beautiful pictorial history by the artist and author, came to me much the same, as an unexpected gift from my Aunt. Thank you Ana! Like Eisenstaedt, your timing is always perfect.

As for how I discovered children don't always make it inside the toilet: let's just say my only argument with my favourite look of the moment, jumpsuits, is the wrenching time it takes to unbutton/un-do, and the pool of clothing left to go no where but at your feet, which apparently, in a house full of kiddos, is along with other said pool.

Alas, I suppose one can never really expect the unexpected.

1 comment:

  1. Ha-I love it. I want on of those Max and Cleo rings! They're cheap!

    ReplyDelete