4.28.2010

Free My Love



I sooo do not want to do this. No, not blog. I do not want to write to tell you I am letting go of not one, but two of my favourite shirts. Releasing this information to you is what's going to get me out the door and off to Goodwill.
But it's ok. I've adopted a few upgrades through the years, including two DVF vintage pieces(seen at both ends) and an awesome reversible Volcom I picked up in Malibu this last vacation, any of which are excellent go-to's.

The Volcom (third from left) has to be one of my favourite pieces ever; 1. it's reversible--two completely different looks and effects in one.

2. The fact that it is reversible means any which way you expose the other side, allows the shirt that many more dimensions. Rolling the sleeves (as shown), buttoned vs. unbuttoned, tucked vs. untucked; I realize I am stating many obvious ways one can sport their wear, but there are not a lot of pieces that still accomplish a put together look--just by putting it on!

I should add I have practically lived in these tops this entire spring season. Shorts. Tights. Running shorts. Yep, that's about it. And many heads have turned. The trick, thus far, is in the accessories, which I have paired the aforementioned with any number of the items seen below.


Excuse me while I kiss the screen. Ijustlove'emsomuch!
Clockwise: Vintage Lucite clutch, Madeline Stuart Low heel, Vintage gold speckle irregular bracelet, black leather belt w/ tortoise spacers.

My favourite line in Sex & the City, The Movie, is when Carrie unveils the dress she "will marry Big in." When her audience is less than thrilled, her response, "Oh, I'm gonna merch-andise it up--styyle it up with some shoes."

The simplest, and often times most flattering, best double-duty option is in the shoes. Why? You have to wear shoes (or not you, Sus); you at least have to wear shoes to receive service and appropriate attention. Why not wear contemporary, comfortable, fashionable shoes which exercise and elongate the leg? Any range of the wedge is money this season: one inch and up, a stacked platform, closed or open-toe, designers have created many beautiful options this season to easily kick up your step.


Pick up on unique attributes such as hardware, luxe textiles, or shiny patent leather...should one even imagine if all of this can be rolled into one?!

As for the rest of your hardware, consider your accessories fair game: there need not be a special occasion to display something you have set aside. Short jaunts to the grocery store, errands about town, picking up the kids from school; each are opportunities to get comfortable with your accoutrements and exercise normal wear and tear. Besides, favourites rarely remain so left on a hanger or dresser top.
Now, get out there and free the love!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! I'm starting one of my own that's going to chronicle my school stuff, because I'm really interested in how the virtual affects the visual. Well, in reality I'm just more excited about the fact that I get to study the relationships between humans and technology :) I'll send you the link when there's more stuff on it.

    I've been thinking about this post when I've been getting ready to go out, and I'm feeling encouraged to wear fancier outfits. And to buy a freaking button up. SO CUTE. xo

    ReplyDelete